FAQ's For Ideas & How To's... For Heritage Time Capsule
Why do people use Time Capsules?
Heritage Time Capsules are the ideal solution for companies, townships, and organizations that want to preserve a moment in time. Whether opening a new branch, launching a new service, or just starting a new venture, your organization has an opportunity to host two unique events. The first, when you store important objects and artifacts inside your Capsule. The second, when you open the Capsule weeks, months, or years later and celebrate all the changes and milestones that have happened since its burial.
Who buys Heritage Time Capsules?
Anyone with a moment to preserve. Companies opening a new location may ask staff to contribute objects to be remembered once the branch has a few years under its belt. Schools and universities may have students submit their own ideas and artifacts to be celebrated on their graduation. The possibilities are endless, and at Heritage Time Capsules, we'll make sure you have the right resources to keep your memories intact. See our Capsules.
How do I store/bury my Time Capsule?
Time Capsules are extremely good at keeping your memories intact for years after they’re placed in the ground. However, to be successful, it’s important that your preservation ceremony takes a few preliminary steps:
- Ensure the Time Capsule and everything you’re preserving is completely dry.
- Do not include staples, paper clips, or rubber bands. They can corrode over time and leave residue on your other contents.
- Separate items as much as possible. This is easy with our Heritage Preservation Kit.
- After placing your objects inside, tighten the Time Capsule’s lid/cover as tight as you can.
- Excavate the preservation site to a depth of 4 feet or more.
- Lower your Time Capsule into the ground, cover it up with the earth you removed earlier, and (if you’ve purchased it) mark the spot with your Heritage Medallion.
Which size Capsule is right for me?
We offer Time Capsules in five sizes. Knowing which is right for you is simply a matter of what you’re preserving. Before you decide on a size, take the following steps:
- Talk to your participants and ask what they’re preserving.
- Estimate the dimensions of the largest item. Then, add an additional 2–4 inches to allow enough room for the Capsule to close properly.
- Now choose a size that works for you. You may wish to leave extra room for additional items. However, the basic formula would look like:
Dimension of Largest Item + 4” = Your Capsule Size
Ready to choose a Capsule? See available sizes here.
What are they made of? Which material should I choose?
Your Time Capsule can come in one of three materials:
- Stainless Steel
Each is built to withstand the elements, keep your memories preserved, and look great the whole time. The only difference is in how the materials look and how they fit your budget.
Find a material you love. See all three here.
What shape is best?
This is a highly personal choice. It will depend on what you’re preserving and where it will be stored. Your Time Capsule can come in one of two shapes:
- Cylinder: These Capsules have a flat bottom and a smooth, curved surface. Dimensions are described with diameter (of the base/lid) and height.
- Rectangle: Box-shaped and easy to manage, the rectangular Capsules are our most popular configuration. Dimensions are described in length x width x depth.
A few points to consider:
- Where will your Capsule be stored? Will this affect the shape you choose?
- What kind of items are you preserving? Would they fit better in a cylindrical or a box-shaped Capsule?
- Storing your Capsule in the foundations of a building? Ask your architect which shape they prefer.
- Replacing an existing Capsule? What size/shape restrictions are involved (if any)?
What makes for an amazing Time Capsule celebration ceremony?
Can you feel it? Your Time Capsule celebration is going to be great! Here are some tips to make sure the big event goes off without a hitch:
- Choose a leader, someone who will be in charge of organizing the ceremony.
- If necessary, put together a small committee to assist this leader.
- Set a date for your ceremony.
- Touch base with your participants and ask them to submit items for preservation. Be sure to include a deadline, too!
- Get the word out. Put together press releases, invite local officials, and get in touch with your soon-to-be guests. Invite local newspapers and television networks.
- If you’re burying the Capsule after a major event, you may want to display the items for guests.
- Get on stage with a short speech about your Time Capsule and what its contents mean.
Most of our clients purchase the Heritage Stone Medallion to mark the location of their Capsule. Learn more.
What kinds of items should we preserve?
Anything you’d like! In the past, clients have included:
- Ballpoint Pen
- Slide Rule
- Credit Card
- Football Jersey
- Legal Documents
- Internet Information
- Phone Book
- TV Guide
- Movie Reviews
- Favorite Hat
- Stamps & Coins
- IQ Test
- Ticket Stubs
- Automobile Sales Brochures
- Advertisements - Current & Antiques
- Bank Statement & Checks
- Sports Statistics & Box Scores
- Bible & Prayer Book
- Golf Ball & Tee
- List of Corporate Executives
- Lists of Members, Parishioners, Students
- Mayor's State of the City Address
- Invitations to Past & Current Events
- Newspaper Articles
- Letterhead & Business Cards
- Magazines & Catalogs
What is the Preservation Kit? Do I need it?
The Library of Congress and the Smithsonian Museum contain some of the most treasured artifacts in world history. They make every accommodation possible to ensure the artifacts are preserved to "Museum Quality", including temperature control, humidity control, air purification, light inhibition, and physical protections.
Although the artifacts in your Heritage Time Capsule will not include the Constitution, the first American flag, or a fine piece of art, there are some things that can be used which will dramatically improve the level of preservation for the items in your Heritage Time Capsule.
Your Preservation Kit includes:
- Fadeproof Archival Marking Pencil
- Polyester L-seal envelopes
- Permanent Bond, Letter size paper, Buffered
- Micro Chamber Envelope: for storage of photos
- Foam Pouches: to separate items
- Resealable Static Pouch: for storage of DVD's or CD's
- Desiccant Pack: to absorb any inherent moisture in the items stored
How do I upload my own logo or design?
Brand your Capsule however you’d like. Just be sure to select "Custom Logo" when selecting your graphic from the product page drop-down menu. Make sure the artwork you upload is high resolution and in any of the following formats: JPEG, PSD, EPS, or PDF.
Do you have any more information about preservation?
The Library of Congress Preservation website can provide additional information regarding preservation of items. You can visit their website by clicking here.
What’s all this about registering my Capsule?
You can register your Time Capsule through the International Time Capsule Society. Follow their easy registration system and you’ll never forget where your memories are buried.
Do you offer expedited/rush orders?
We get it. Deadlines are deadlines. We’ll do everything in our power to make sure your Time Capsule arrives in time. Order with standard shipping and you can expect to see your time capsule in 10 business days or less. That said, we also offer rush delivery— your time capsule will be shipped and on its way within 36 hours of your order.
Meet your deadline. Rush delivery now available: $209.00
Rush delivery times will be a bit longer for those orders requiring a custom logo.
--------- HERITAGE TIME CAPSULES . SHIPPING CHART ---------
|Time Capsule, No logo:||5 days||36 hrs|
|Time Capsule, Std logo:||5 days||36 hrs|
|Time Capsule, Custom logo:||10 days||3 days|
|Time Capsule, Custom laser Etched:||15 days||10 days|
|Etched Heritage Stone Medallion:||10 days||8 days|
|Custom Time Capsules:||6-8 weeks||4-6 weeks|
I need something custom. What can you do?
Everything under the sun (almost). If you need a specific look, a particular shape, or a unique design— just let us know! Email us with your design specifications and we’ll get back to you in 48 hours or less. We can accommodate most requests, however keep in mind that we will be working from the following materials and parameters:
- Corrosion-resistant 304 Stainless Steel
- Heavy duty, 12 gauge thickness with a 2B surface finish
- Stainless steel bolts to fasten access panel firmly in place
- Butyl seal included for interface of access panel and Time Capsule
- Length x Width x Height
- Delivery address
- Ceremony Date
Our policy lasts 30 days. If 30 days have gone by since your purchase, unfortunately we can’t offer you a refund or exchange.
To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it.
To return your product, you should mail your product to:
Heritage Time Capsules
5373 Transit Road Suite B
Williamsville, New York US 14221
All returned Time Capsules will incur a $75 restocking fee, round trip shipping fees and custom design fee (if applicable).
Ready to get started? Email us at: email@example.com